Friday, April 29, 2011

The World Is Upside Down (Poem)



Strange things are happening, I tell you true .
For all things weird, the days are due.

I went into a local pub yesterday, to have myself some brew,
And sitting there at the bar, was this beauty I once knew.
Adopting a suave demeanor, I slid onto the stool next to hers
And ordered a round of ale for the two of us.

Several glasses later, I was showering her with praise,
Bringing back the old times and promising the moon,
When she suddenly turned cold as ice,
Said she was tired of men like me, and walked out of the room.

I turned to the barman, confusion written on my face
Because I had played the perfect gentleman.
The barman shook his head and said,
“I put no stock in your plan”.

He poured me another glass of the holy amber
And as I drunk, he talked:
“You see, the world is upside down,” quoth he.
“If you were less kind, she wouldn’t have walked.

“A peek at any daily will echo my sentiments:
Goodness is out and evil is in,
Black is white and right is wrong,
Up is down and holiness a sin.”

Hard words they were and they hurt like punches.
I shakily paid my tab and said goodbye.
Drunk and disorderly, I staggered out of the establishment -
And fell into the sky!

(c) Alex N Nderitu
http://www.alexandernderitu.com/

Buy Alexander Nderitu's prose and poetry books at:
http://stores.lulu.com/NewShakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment