Friday, November 26, 2010

Houston, Forget That Other Thing! (poem)

Houston, I have a problem.
It comes in the shape of a girl from Harlem.
Her waterfall of hair is as black as a raven,
Her skin is nut-brown and her eye-brows, silken.
Her eyes gleam when she looks towards Heaven,
Lush red lips part to reveal pearly whites between them.
(I thought she was smiling at me but I was mistaken -
she was waving at a friend I had partially hidden.)
Houston, as you can see, I'm quite taken:
What can I do to lure her into my den?

Houston, forget the last message from me.
Mission Control Centre, I hope you copy.
Delay the next shuttle launch to hear my love story.
The girl from Harlem is mine - finally!
My personal mission is accomplished - hooray!
For the last three months and one day,
Our life has been bright and gay.
We've laughed and talked and strolled by the bay
And today she surprised me in the grandest way:
Her doctor confirmed that she's expecting our baby!

Houston, forget that other thing.
It's been a year now and I've given her my ring,
Our baby is fine but that's not why I'm calling.
You see, our married life was smooth sailing
Until recently when her best friend came visiting.
She's fun-loving and has a career in modelling
And my wife caught us kissing and groping.
NASA, I know you're busy monitoring and probing
But now's not the time for taking off or landing:
Her lawyer called - and a divorce is in the offing!   


(c) Alex N Nderitu
http://www.alexandernderitu.com/


Buy Alexander Nderitu's prose and poetry books at: http://stores.lulu.com/NewShakespeare

No comments:

Post a Comment